Thursday, January 19, 2012

Laying Mulch & Hearing God

Almost four years ago, I got pregnant with Aaron.

Shortly after that, but before we knew he was a "he," we decided that we needed to re-mulch our front yard. It was a big task, and since I was pregnant, I wasn't as much help as I normally would have been. We enlisted the help of a former, male student. (Incidentally, he and his family have since become like family to us.) While watching him and Nathan work in the yard (Let me interject here that I made a great supervisor), I had the thought: "I wouldn't mind having a boy someday. You know, to lift heavy things. Mow lawns. Paint rooms." And while my brain was adjusting to the idea of having a boy in addition to the little girl I had always dreamed of, a calm came over me.

Now yes, a lot of people say they have "heard the voice of God." I'm not sure I've ever had that moment. I'm not really sure what God sounds like. Maybe Morgan Freeman?  Charlton Heston? Kermit the Frog? I dunno.

But at that moment, I felt a physical calm, and heard something say, "You're going to have a house full of boys someday. And it's good."

A few weeks later in June of 2008, we were told that our first born would be a boy.

Two years later in October 2010, we were told that our second baby would be a boy.

And today, January 19, 2012 we learned that our unexpected blessing is yet one more boy.

And it's good.
    

2 comments:

  1. Jen, that gave me chills to read.
    Love you...and all your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean when you talk about that something. I always trust that voice.

    ReplyDelete